THE OOTACAMUND CLUB

  • 01.jpg
  • 02.jpg
  • 03.jpg
  • 04.jpg
  • 05.jpg
 
 
 

The Club, at this time, hade 360 members, membership being open to “All members of H. M. & the Hon’ble Company’s Civil , Military & Service, & gentlemen of the mercantile or other professions, moving in the ordinary circle of Indian society.”  

Club Hall
 
 
 

The Club, at this time, hade 360 members, membership being open to “All members of H. M. & the Hon’ble Company’s Civil , Military & Service, & gentlemen of the mercantile or other professions, moving in the ordinary circle of Indian society.”  

Read More...
 
Suite Room
  

 

The large Ballroom is adorned with well preserved hunting trophies – obviously donated by members - & include tiger, leopard, bear skins, bison, sambur deer heads. To the right of the Mixed Bar is a second bar dedicated to the memory of Col. Jago who, as a Captain in the Army, introduced jackal hunting in Ooty in 1872.

Read More...
 
Dining Hall
 
 
 

The building functioned as a hotel from 1833 to 1834, when it was rented for a short period by Lord William Bentick, Governor General of Fort William at this time & later the first Governor General of India. It reverted to a hotel till December 1835, when it was rented to the Governor Sir Frederick Adam till September 1836. It reverted to a hotel till end   now a Lt. Col, & eight others – originators of the Ootacamund club.

Read More...
 
Entertainment
 
 
 

Today, the Club has 632 members with a membership base form all the major cities in India, 7 is fondly referred to as the “Snooty Ooty Club” as also “The Morgue” – thanks to its many hunting trophies. Heritage & tradition are firmly entrenched within its walls, & have been zealously guarded & upheld by generations of members.

Read More...